Admission criteria

Elementary and secondary schools

Admission to French-language elementary and secondary schools can be granted in one of two ways:

  1. Under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, a child is eligible, without any other condition, if the parent is a rights-holder: that is, a Canadian citizen who meets at least ONE of the following criteria:
    • The first language learned and still understood is French;
    • The parent attended elementary school in French in Canada;
    • Another of the parent’s children has received French-language education or is attending elementary or secondary school in French in Canada.
  1. Moreover, any parent can submit an application for admission to the French-language school of his or her choice. The child’s eligibility is determined by the admissions committee within the designated school board. Once the child’s admission to a French-language school is granted, the parent becomes a “rights-holder,” and all his or her children become entitled to a French-language education anywhere in Canada. They in turn will be able to register their own children at a French-language school.

Many parents in Canada are unaware that they are rights-holders. However, a rights-holder who chooses not to register his or her child in a French-language school risks depriving his or her descendants of the right to French-language education. To regain their right to FLE, his or her grandchildren may have to submit an application to the admissions committee of the designated school board.

To register your child at an elementary or secondary school, you must contact the school of your choice.

Be sure to have the following documents ready upon registration:

  • Registration form: provided by the school or school board
  • Proof of child’s age : original birth certificate or passport or baptismal/faith document
  • Proof of address : any two of the following (current) documents: lease or deed, car registration, utility bill, residential telephone bill, moving bill, property tax bill, health card, bank statement, credit card statement, correspondence with a government agency
  • Proof of child’s citizenship: birth certificate or passport, record of landing or permanent resident card
  • Proof of custody: if you are not the child’s parent and the child is under 18, you must provide proof of custody (court order)
  • Immunization record : proof that your child has been immunized

Eligibility for admission to post-secondary education and training

Access to a post-secondary institution or training facility is open to everyone who wants to further his or her education in French.